Friday, November 22, 2013

Mozart, K.15a-15ss, London Sketchbook

KV 15l - Contredanse: Vivace in D major - an odd trill of a theme, the bass remains unvarying in the short development section
KV 15m - Minuetto in F major - this little bit has such a sprawling theme, has some wierd minor stuff too
KV 15n - Andante in C major - some of these sound like improvisations, this was pretty
KV 150 - Marcia: Andantino in D Major - it may be that these are more enjoyable to listen to for me merely because they're played on the keyboard (I played the piano when I as young), but the act, mentally, of imagining my self playing these pieces, as they're played, seems to bring more in tune, emotionally, with given lines.  Perhaps this is something that is the case particularly with instrumental music, I don't know.  
K 15p - Allegro assai in G minor - more high-serious; don't know if this is recording specific, but the splashing was interesting
K 15q - Andante con espressione in G minor - this piece seems unbalanced, always on the verge of turning into something else, hence the espressione I guess
K 15r - Allegro giusto in G minor - surprisingly dark, with a tapping bass
K 15s - Hornpipe in C major - didn't get much out of that one, other than that at the beginning it was hard to follow
K 15t - Allegro in F major - this is like excitement, which is constantly ending abruptly, very difficult to describe; i think it is my obligation to read these pieces as if I am playing them, merely listening to them and waiting for things to happen like I might with a pop piece does not seem to be sufficient, I have to imagine myself investing in the emotion of individual bars; I hope I am not reading too much into the pieces now.  In any case, the practice makes Mozart much more enjoyable. 
K 15u - Siciliana: Andantino in F major - a call and response piece, develops into something less satisfactory than original theme
K 15v - Allegro molto in F major - this has some of that what to me was, when I first started listening to Mozart, characteristic Mozartean sadness, the pang of pain after the sight of something too gorgeous
K 15w - Allemande: Allegretto in B flat major - this one is a wagging of the head, a shaking around, very wierd, can barely follow it.

and now, for our modern piece of music: the Mission: Gabriel's Oboe - much more emotionally raw, accompaniment bit more blah than I remember

No comments:

Post a Comment